Rejoice Counseling Apostolate - Highlight on Depression
The holidays are upon us and with it many activities, travel, and family gatherings are ahead! While this can be a time of great joy, it can also be a time of pain for individuals suffering from sadness and depression.
Depression by the Numbers:
- Depression ranks among the top 3 workplace issues in the U.S.
- Depression is the leading cause of disability in the U.S. among people ages 15-44.
- It is estimated that 7% of the general population suffers from depression.
- Nearly 15% of women suffer from postpartum depression within 4-6 weeks of giving birth.
- 30% of college students report feeling depressed.
- Two-thirds of people with depression do not seek nor receive proper treatment.
- 80% of people treated for depression show improvement within 4-6 weeks.
Common Symptoms Include: Feeling helpless or hopeless, apathy, general discontent, loss of interest or pleasure in activities, sadness, excess sleepiness or restless sleep, fatigue, loss of appetite, excessive crying, irritability, social isolation, lack of concentration, slowness in activity, and weight gain or loss.
How We Can Help: If you or a loved one suffers from one or more of the symptoms listed above, counseling can help by giving insight about your emotions, providing new tools for dealing with your problems, and help to reframe negative thought patterns. A Parish Counselor is available on-site at our parish. For details and appointments, call (844) 295-3167 or visit https://www.myparishcounseling.com/stjohnalvin/